Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP/K12Linux 'crusaders'

Patrick Fleming wrote:

So the "sale force" has to sell "installed seats" while not violating
the spirit and letter of the GPL (which strictly forbids per seat
licensing of the code!) by only selling a package of installed code with
support - no exceptions. Add in a training program for existing school
admins to start getting them up to speed on Linux and it might work.

You can sell per seat, per user, per server or whatever other method you want to. There is nothing in the GPL that prevents this. RedHat does it, Novell does it. The only thing the GPL prevents is lockout - if someone wants the source, they get the source. I hope that I'm misunderstanding your use of "strictly forbids per seat licensing"

What the GPL says is:

   6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
 Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
 original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
 these terms and conditions.  You may not impose any further
 restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.

I'm sure RedHat has some reason to believe that their restriction against installing licensed copies on additional machines is legal, but I've never been to understand how they reconcile that. There is no distinction between binaries and source here, and no exceptions for how you impose those restrictions. As long as they make the source available so projects like Centos can exist, I doubt if anyone will challenge them on it, though.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com