Re: [K12OSN] Documenting the Network

Rob Owens wrote:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:13:11PM -0400, j.w. thomas wrote:
How do you guys document your networking environment?

I am the sole admin of a small system, and it just seems bad practice for the sole repository of all that info to be my head. For one, my head is notoriously unreliable for that sort of thing. Also, it can't be backed up.

Right now I have a small setup with a firewall, an ltsp server, five clients, a wireless connection, and a stand-alone workstation. More to come later (printers, more services, etc).

I'm planning to fire up an svn server to use as a repo for all the /etc directories on all the machines. I also have a text file with descriptions of every technical detail I could think to put in it: equipment specs, models, location, function, wireless encryption keys, power feeds (i.e., ups or not), ip addresses, services, etc.

I'd use BackupPC to backup all the /etc directories (and /usr/local and
whatever else is important to you).

I like the idea of subversion. I've used CVS in the past for my dns files, cisco configs that are tftp'd to a linux server and a few other odds and ends. It is really nice when combined with viewvc (a web interface that will let you browse either cvs or subversion histories, see side-by-side color-coded diffs of any 2 versions, etc.).

However it always seemed like too much trouble to turn an existing directory tree (/etc) into a checked-out svn workspace. Maybe that has gotten easier with the current version and the sparse checkout options, though. Has anyone come up with a way to make the files from similar machines appear as branches with a common history?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com