Re: [K12OSN] Documenting the Network

You might want to check out 'spiceworks'...

Rob Owens wrote:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:13:11PM -0400, j.w. thomas wrote:
How do you guys document your networking environment?

I am the sole admin of a small system, and it just seems bad practice for the sole repository of all that info to be my head. For one, my head is notoriously unreliable for that sort of thing. Also, it can't be backed up.

Right now I have a small setup with a firewall, an ltsp server, five clients, a wireless connection, and a stand-alone workstation. More to come later (printers, more services, etc).

I'm planning to fire up an svn server to use as a repo for all the /etc directories on all the machines. I also have a text file with descriptions of every technical detail I could think to put in it: equipment specs, models, location, function, wireless encryption keys, power feeds (i.e., ups or not), ip addresses, services, etc.

I'd use BackupPC to backup all the /etc directories (and /usr/local and
whatever else is important to you).

-Rob