Re: [K12OSN] Documenting the Network

Tim Born wrote:
Small networks can be noodled using dia (a visio knockoff).
I do what you are describing, with pictures, into a openoffice doc and keep it near the server console (locked up).
-tim

I downloaded dia and have noodled up a diagram.  Thanks for the tip.

Les Mikesell wrote:
I like the idea of subversion. I've used CVS in the past for my dns files, cisco configs that are tftp'd to a linux server and a few other odds and ends. It is really nice when combined with viewvc (a web interface that will let you browse either cvs or subversion histories, see side-by-side color-coded diffs of any 2 versions, etc.).

However it always seemed like too much trouble to turn an existing directory tree (/etc) into a checked-out svn workspace. Maybe that has gotten easier with the current version and the sparse checkout options, though. Has anyone come up with a way to make the files from similar machines appear as branches with a common history?

I don't have that many machines, so I'm not too interested in using branches to manage them.

I found some guidance on using svn to manage /etc at
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6142224.html
If I'm reading this right (and it's late, so who knows) he keeps a checked-out version of /etc elsewhere and then uses rsync to push the changes. I would much rather have the real version of /etc be the checked out version, but I'm afraid that the only way to do that involves deleting it before doing the checkout. And that's just a /wee/ bit on the scary side. If I were daring enough, here's how I'm thinking I could do it:

reboot using a live CD
mount /etc
make a tarball of etc and put it somewhere safe (just in case)
import /etc into svn
delete it!
check it out via svn.
remove live CD
reboot
weep (for either joy or sorrow)

jthomas bittware com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
The sooner you get behind, the more time you'll have to catch up