Re: [K12OSN] When Free Isn’t Free: The realities of running open source in school

Man, this could've been written by a Microsoft employee!  So full of crap masquerading as truth....

Actually, managing many UNIX/Linux machines is quite easy.  UNIX administrators have been doing it for over 20 years!  It's not that hard.  Matter of fact, I use a GNU/Linux machine to manage approximately 300 Cisco routers and over 50 GNU/Linux boxes.  I can blow pretty much any change I want to all 300 routers in about two minutes.  Same for the GNU/Linux boxes.  And I do it all with little "batch files", to use the Microsoft term.

And the obvious SuSE bias was rather disgusting to me, since Novell became a Microsoft whore.  Debian's been a much better choice anyway ever since Etch, and we already know about Ubuntu LTS.  Heck, my Dad runs K12LTSP 5EL as a workstation and likes it.

But what struck me most about this article was that it is also a great treatise for *NOT* letting yourself get locked in to Microsoft in the first place.  Check out that section regarding "templates, training, and curriculum built around Microsoft Office."  Schools should build their curricula around *concepts*, not specific applications.  This kind of mentality is why my high school intern, intelligent as he is, cannot do long division!  Can you believe that?  This brilliant kid CANNOT DO STANDARD LONG DIVISION!  HE WAS NEVER TAUGHT IT!!

It's that mentality that keeps us behind in the world.

--TP
Do you GNU?

http://www.techlearning.com/article/16504