[K12OSN] fedora 10/ltsp install trouble

Will Hatch whatch at anwsu.org
Tue Mar 24 14:21:00 UTC 2009

Ok, I knew something was different.  When I go to system>>administration>>network, it shows both of my ethernet cards, plus a ltspb.  This puzzled me.

So you are saying I can uninstall ltsp and make a connection to the server with my DevonIT clients the way I used to?  I'm still unsure of how to get this working.  Sorry, I'm a teacher and things like this sometimes require "linux for dummies" instructions before I get it right.

On 03/24/2009 09:00 AM, Will Hatch wrote:
> I decided to move on from the Centos 5.1 version of k12ltsp to Fedora
> 10.  I installed Fedora 10 on my server, which is just a beefed up
> Dell Optiplex with two network cards.  I installed ltsp server and
> its dependencies after the initial install was finished.  Now I am
> stuck.
>
> I use DevonIT thin clients in my lab.  To create a session/connection
> you just enter the IP address of the server you are connecting to
> (different sessions for linux or windows ect).  My clients can't
> connect.  I followed the network instructions at:
> https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/NetworkSetup but with no luck.
> I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.  Thanks for any help. -Will

The NetworkSetup page describes booting your clients in a different way,
where it gets the operating system netboot from the server.  These thin
clients boot Fedora and login to the server via ldm.  The old K12LTSP
used XDMCP instead of ldm.

If you want to use it in the old way where it can boot from DetOS, it is
probably using XDMCP.  You need to manually configure
/etc/gdm/custom.conf to enable XDMCP.  This is outside the scope of
K12Linux.  You actually don't need K12Linux at all to act as a XDMCP
server.  Any ordinary Linux server can do it without K12Linux.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com