[K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun May 3 14:39:32 UTC 2009

Download the pulseaudio-esound-compat and do a manual rpm -ivh
pulseaudio-esound-compat --replacefiles  .  Don't remove the the old
esound rpm.

It really seems like the compat is built incorrectly. It should be an
upgrade to esound. It only contains :
/usr/bin/esd
/usr/bin/esdcompat
/usr/share/man/man1/esdcompat.1.gz

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 08:03 -0400, David Hopkins wrote:
> >> yep, there is a reason that CentOS/RHEL exists.  I would prefer to
> >> stay with CentOS but I have to resolve sound (talk about beating a
> >> dead horse issue) and with LTSP5 I have to admit that sound 'just
> >> works' in all the apps I have to have (except for Audacity but I've
> >> found some documentation that implies it can be made to work).
> >
> > Load up the EPEL repo and install pulsaudio. That will let flash sound
> > work again with flash > v9 . That change clobbered everybody.
> >

> A late reply on this part but while I can load up the EPEL repo and
> install MOST of the pulseaudio rpm's cleanly, I can't get
> pulseaudio-compat-esound to install as a dependency with esound is
> detected.  It seems that all of gnome (and other packages) requires
> esound. If I use "rpm -e --nodeps ..." to remove esound and then
> install pulseaudio-esound-compat, it is then impossible to log onto
> the system with a gnome session. The error message is that libesd.so
> isn't found by gnome session and the session immediately exits.
> Googling reveals that apparently this has been an issue for a bit.
> Re-installing esound allows users to log back in again (which
> automatically uninstalls pulseaudio-esound-compat)
>
> So, how do I cleanly uninstall esound?  I could just let the system
> uninstall every package with a dependency and then re-install all of
> them but that is a daunting proposition.
>
> Sincerely,
> Dave Hopkins

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering