[K12OSN] Server Configuration question

Steve Jackson sjxn at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 13 00:50:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 10:24 -0400, Joseph Bishay wrote:
(Some bits snipped)
> So in the server room in the basement I've got a cable
> from the 2nd floor switch and a cable from the 1st floor switch.
> Currently I have both those cables going into another switch and then
> a cable from the LTSP server to that switch.  I was hoping to
> eliminate that switch (and it's potential bottle-neck) by plugging the
> cable from the 2nd floor into one NIC and the the 1st floor into the
> other NIC.

I have done what you are attempting here, a long time ago with K12LTSP
and more recently with Edubuntu, for the same sort of reason. It isn't
going to just work without tweaking. Unfortunately I don't have my notes
any more, but here's what I think I had to do:

1. Determine what the ip address range will be for the extra interface -
it must not overlap the original one.

2. Define the ip range for the extra terminal network in the DHCP server
config, by copying the existing range and then modifying the extra range
ip addresses to suit.

3. Define workstation names in /etc/hosts for the new terminals (this
was for K12LTSP using LTSP 4.2 - it isn't needed any more).

4. Check your firewall configuration on the LTSP server, to make sure
you aren't blocking the new terminal IP range.

5. After restarting DHCP, check its log to make sure it is servicing the
new network, then put a laptop on the extra network and verify that it
can get an address. Unless you have taken extra steps, it won't be able
to get to the Internet - that doesn't matter.

6. Make sure your TFTP config allows the service to work with the new IP
range.

7. Start a terminal and see what happens!