[K12OSN] wall mart wall wort as app or profile server?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Fri May 22 21:07:30 UTC 2009

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
> Then this is freakin' killer, dudes/dudettes.  Talk about "thin"
> clients!  All we need now with this thing is a USB hub for the keyboard,
> mouse, and ANTonline USB-to-VGA adapter, and we're done.  Nobody'd even
> *see* the computer.  A little mini-GNU/Linux distro with just the
> essentials (network stack and X11) installed on that built-in flash
> drive would DO THE TRICK!

I dunno.  Perhaps I am a hard to please, but by the time you are all
done you will have spent $100 (wall wort) + $60 (USB2VGA) + $10 (USB
hub) = $170 and what do you have?  A thin client with crummy video
support (1280x1024 = 17-19" monitor max. -- no widescreen support)
practically no local-app support, and a bunch of dongles hung off a wall
wort, plus all the time wasted getting a custom linux spin to support it
all.

I would rather spend $50 _less_ ($105 board/case/PS + $15 stick of DDR2)
and get this:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bp_m360_lf

Which is LTSP plug-n-play.

If you really like small and fanless and don't mind spending more, get this:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ms_9a15

You could reclaim the 2.5" HD and sell it to recover some of the cost.

Jeff