[K12OSN] New to K12Linux, Question

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Mon May 25 16:41:08 UTC 2009

For demo purposes, I would skip installing any software during the demo, esp.
OOo.  The ease of installation is very cool, and one of the real advantages of
FOSS.  But, speaking from experience, in a demo the audience is usually
underwhelmed by seeing it in action.  *Tell them* how you can instantly add new
software--no requisitions, no quotes, no vendors, no days or weeks of waiting,
etc.--by just downloading it, perhaps bringing yumex up, but don't actually
bother doing the installation.  It's too slow, perhaps unpredictable, and it
doesn't really wow people as much as one might think.

Peter