[K12OSN] New to K12Linux, Question

murrah boswell otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Mon May 25 18:20:57 UTC 2009

Hello Peter and Carl and All,

Peter Scheie wrote:
> For demo purposes, I would skip installing any software during the demo,
> esp. OOo.  The ease of installation is very cool, and one of the real
> advantages of FOSS.  But, speaking from experience, in a demo the
> audience is usually underwhelmed by seeing it in action.  *Tell them*
> how you can instantly add new software--no requisitions, no quotes, no
> vendors, no days or weeks of waiting, etc.--by just downloading it,
> perhaps bringing yumex up, but don't actually bother doing the
> installation.  It's too slow, perhaps unpredictable, and it doesn't
> really wow people as much as one might think.
>
> Peter
>
> Carl Keil wrote:
>> I wonder if installing all of openoffice vs. just the writer would
>> work.  Longer download.  You could cheat a bit and intall it, then
>> remove it, then install it again from cache.  It would skip the
>> download phase in the demo and you'd be pretty sure it would work.  I
>> think adding -c or something specifies not to redownload it.

Just being able to install yumex with

yum install yumex

from the terminal and then bringing up yumex will be perfect for my demonstration.

Now, I have to admit, I have been working with Linux for over 10 years, but always in command line. The X-windows environment is
foreign to me. I am not asking for a tutorial on X-windows, but how would I demonstrate adding an application from the server side
and then making it available to all thin clients? What would be a good, simple application to add for my demonstration?

One other thing, does K12Linux Live work out-of-the-box with a wireless router? I guess I should try before I ask, but if there are
any lessons learned with wireless I would appreciate them.

Thanks again for all your help!

Regards,
Murrah Boswell