[K12OSN] Remote client desktop

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue May 26 13:42:02 UTC 2009

David Hopkins wrote:
>> I may be missing exactly what you are wanting to accomplish with
>> connecting to a TC desktop, but FL_TeacherTool should do very well for
>> what you are wanting to do.
>>

> I wasn't aware that TeacherTool worked with LTSP5 for remote
> monitoring/control.
>
> iTalc might work but definitely looks like it could be difficult to
> set up initially:
> http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=ITALC_in_a_ThinClient_environment

I didn't think TeachtTool worked on LTSP5 either.  Here's what the web
site says:

"It was designed to fit into the K12LTSP distribution but may also work
with other LTSP systems. It was developed on K12LTSP 4.2EL using C++ and
FLTKs."

Since there are major differences between LTSP4 and 5 I presume this
isn't an option.

I installed iTalc at one point but it started popping up error dialogs
for all users so I just removed it.  It really isn't made for thin
client environments, and it is unclear if it works well over low
bandwidth connections (which I need).  While it appears it is possible
to get it working there are no Fedora instructions so it looks like an
uphill battle.  Since all I need is remote desktop it is overkill anyway.

Is what I am trying to do impossible with standard tools (ie: VNC)?  If
I could figure out where the X server/client are running I expect I
should be able to get x11vnc working.  However, I have not seen any
documentation about how X works in LTSP5 so this is a black box for me.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Jeff