[K12OSN] More feedback on Fedora 10 + LTSP

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Sat May 2 00:11:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 08:03:15AM -0400, David Hopkins wrote:
> >> yep, there is a reason that CentOS/RHEL exists.  I would prefer to
> >> stay with CentOS but I have to resolve sound (talk about beating a
> >> dead horse issue) and with LTSP5 I have to admit that sound 'just
> >> works' in all the apps I have to have (except for Audacity but I've
> >> found some documentation that implies it can be made to work).
> >
> > Load up the EPEL repo and install pulsaudio. That will let flash sound
> > work again with flash > v9 . That change clobbered everybody.
> >

> A late reply on this part but while I can load up the EPEL repo and
> install MOST of the pulseaudio rpm's cleanly, I can't get
> pulseaudio-compat-esound to install as a dependency with esound is
> detected.  It seems that all of gnome (and other packages) requires
> esound. If I use "rpm -e --nodeps ..." to remove esound and then
> install pulseaudio-esound-compat, it is then impossible to log onto
> the system with a gnome session. The error message is that libesd.so
> isn't found by gnome session and the session immediately exits.

If this is just an issue of Gnome checking for something that it really doesn't need, maybe you should try IceWM or some other window manager.  If you
can log in, then you can test to see if sound is working the way you want.  Then try making Gnome work.

> Googling reveals that apparently this has been an issue for a bit.
> Re-installing esound allows users to log back in again (which
> automatically uninstalls pulseaudio-esound-compat)
>
> So, how do I cleanly uninstall esound?  I could just let the system
> uninstall every package with a dependency and then re-install all of
> them but that is a daunting proposition.

I'm not sure if this would even help anything.  Wouldn't Gnome still complain?  I'm not an rpm expert, but I think you could do an "rpm -qa > allfiles.txt" to get a list of all of your installed packages.  Then let the system
uninstall every package with a dependency.  Then "rpm -qa > somefiles.txt", then do a diff of allfiles.txt and somefiles.txt.  You could then probably
send the diff to the "rpm -i" command.

-Rob