[K12OSN] Scary article from Russia (w/o love)

Tue May 19 16:00:48 UTC 2009

I resemble that.  For my part, I think Linux is completely ready for the desktop, but I'm not sure that the users are ready and I'm not sure that IT people are as ready as they think they are.  So, my general-purpose advice is this:  Go ahead and pilot Linux on the desktop, with an eye toward full deployment, but make darn sure you have a safety net: a Windows Terminal Server, a Virtual Machine, or a dual-boot handy for anything you might have overlooked.  Working without a net is bad geekery.  It scares users, and it should.  Be humble.  Serve the users that feed you.  Study as hard as you can.  Never, ever attack people, even when they're being "stupid" and "deserve it".

--David