[K12OSN] Scary article from Russia (w/o love)

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Tue May 19 18:42:26 UTC 2009

I also thought that article was nothing but a troll.  I have installed
Ubuntu on hundreds of computers, and have used it for a primary
desktop.  I also have installed Windows hundreds of times.  Many
statements made in the article are true of any OS:  Things have to be
tweaked to user preference, sound settings are subjective, most home
users use what "standard software" that comes with the machine (I
can't tell you how many people I've seen stick with MS Works,
ClarisWorks, or Word Perfect even though no one else can open their
documents).  And sound problems?  On my personal machine, Ubuntu had
far better control over my sound card than the drivers under Windows,
I almost never have to find sound drivers for Ubuntu, but have for
Windows.  I've had to find way more drivers for tons of hardware under
Windows (sitting in front of me now, fresh install needs network,
video, sound, and chipset drivers).

Maybe this person was just trying to get the list fired up.

Eric