Re: [K12OSN] Scary article from Russia (w/o love)

It's a shame that whatever good work is being done by some developers in openSUSE is overshadowed by Novell's act of treachery with Microsoft. Yep, that's what it is, so that's how I call it. You are correct that the sellout doesn't affect "how good the open source software is or the community is." Indeed, I've been running Red Hat Linux, Slackware, and Ubuntu for several years now, and I ditched IE for Mozilla 0.9 years ago. MS Office hasn't touched any of my own computers since 2003 (OpenOffice.org, baby!). I agree with you in that Open Source software, and the community around it, is wonderful.

But, worst-case scenario, I would rather stick with K12LTSP 5EL (based on CentOS 5) until 2014 than use SUSE-anything. It's just too risky. We might as well just go with MS Windows and be done with it.

Now, when Novell cuts off that deal and treats Microsoft like the enemy of freedom that it is (much like Red Hat treats Microsoft today), then I can revisit that position. But until then, SUSE-anything must be treated like the legal toxic waste that it has unfortunately become.

Come on, Novell, rescind that deal!

--TP

David Van Assche wrote:
openSUSE will not be absorbed by MS in 2 years unless MS is going to be gpling all its stuff, which would be great for everyone, but will likely never happen. The novell deal is pretty irrelevant to the work being done on opensuse-edu. It is by far the best and most up to date edu distro currently available and has changed really seriosuly over the last 2 years. Take a look here: http://en.opensuse.org/Education This idea that its sellout somehow affects how good the open source software is or the community is, is quite silly... check the product for yourself... Ubuntu will take a LONG time before it has recovered from its steadly dwindling comunity in the education sector.... I know cause I'm part of that team too, but focus most of my time on opensuse-edu now, since that is where all the movement is happening.

kind Regards,
David (nubae) Van Assche