[K12OSN] Scary article from Russia (w/o love)

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed May 20 14:14:37 UTC 2009

It's a shame that whatever good work is being done by some developers in
openSUSE is overshadowed by Novell's act of treachery with Microsoft.
Yep, that's what it is, so that's how I call it.

You are correct that the sellout doesn't affect "how good the open
source software is or the community is."  Indeed, I've been running Red
Hat Linux, Slackware, and Ubuntu for several years now, and I ditched IE
for Mozilla 0.9 years ago.  MS Office hasn't touched any of my own
computers since 2003 (OpenOffice.org, baby!).  I agree with you in that
Open Source software, and the community around it, is wonderful.

But, worst-case scenario, I would rather stick with K12LTSP 5EL (based
on CentOS 5) until 2014 than use SUSE-anything.  It's just too risky.
We might as well just go with MS Windows and be done with it.

Now, when Novell cuts off that deal and treats Microsoft like the enemy
of freedom that it is (much like Red Hat treats Microsoft today), then I
can revisit that position.  But until then, SUSE-anything must be
treated like the legal toxic waste that it has unfortunately become.

Come on, Novell, rescind that deal!

--TP