[K12OSN] via82xx sound (or lack thereof)

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Fri May 22 16:10:15 UTC 2009

Hi,
I'm trying to use a pretty robust PC as a client but I can't get sound.

The sound chip is a via 8237. The module loads correctly (I've checked
with lsmod) and I've even fooled around with various dxs settings.

Gnome-sound-properties can't find it: "Could  not get/set settings
from/on resource"
Gstreamer-properties can't find it either: "
Alsamixer from the command line can and I've upped all the values so
nothing is muted.

The confounding part is that sound works fine when I boot from an F10 or
F9 live cd. It just doesn't as a thin client.

All my alsa and pulse libraries in the chroot are up to date (F10).

The card does show up under /proc/asound/

I've tried using front panel jacks, mic jacks, etc.

I've googled all sorts of "fixes" but nothing seems to work. Any insight
or ideas appreciates.

Thanks,
William