Re: [K12OSN] New to K12Linux, Question

I think you are misinformed. OpenOffice.org *is* freely distributable, and most distros offer it. There is no licensing issue. The reason it is not included in the live USB image is that it is huge, consuming ~150MB of disk space. As the main point of the USB image is for demo purposes, Abiword is sufficient in most cases, as it, OpenOffice.org, and MS Word look very much the same. However, you can easily add OpenOffice.org after booting from the USB stick with either the graphical yumex or the command line yum.

Peter

Leo Willems wrote:
Hello Murrah,

as I understand the distribution policy, all software that has
external copyright holders like
OpenOffice (Sun), Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash (Adobe) and other
'free' software of this kind of copyright are excluded in the
distribution. Only true 'free' open source software is included.

You need to download and install this third party software yourself.
By doing that you agree as individual or organization to the license
agreements coming with that software individually.

Thanks
Leo

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM, murrah boswell