Re: [K12OSN] New to K12Linux, Question

That's not true.  Linux (the kernel) itself has "external" copyright holders, including Linus Torvalds, Andrew Morton, etc.  Neither of these folks work for Red Hat.  Linux is, in fact, under hundreds, maybe thousands of such "external" copyrights.

The list goes on:

- X11, copyright by X.org Foundation and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- GNOME, copyright by many people
- BASH, awk, grep, sed, GCC, and so on; copyright by the FSF
- OpenSSH, copyright by Tatu Ylonen and the OpenBSD development team
- The TCP/IP networking stack, copyright by the Regents of the University of California at Berkeley
- TuxPaint, copyright by Bill Kendrick
- LTSP, copyright by Jim McQuillan (and, I'm sure, others)

Get the idea?  :-)

The Free Software licenses for these software packages (usually GPL or LGPL, also often BSD-style) are what give us the freedom to distribute this software as much as we want.  That's why these licenses are chosen.

I suspect that the reason OpenOffice.org isn't on there is simply because it's H-U-G-E.  After all, it's been on every DVD of K12LTSP since version 3.0.0, including the still-current K12LTSP 5.0EL.  OpenOffice.org is under the LGPL.

--TP

Leo Willems wrote:
Hello Murrah,

as I understand the distribution policy, all software that has
external copyright holders like
OpenOffice (Sun), Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash (Adobe) and other
'free' software of this kind of copyright are excluded in the
distribution. Only true 'free' open source software is included.

You need to download and install this third party software yourself.
By doing that you agree as individual or organization to the license
agreements coming with that software individually.

Thanks
Leo

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM, murrah boswell