[K12OSN] New to K12Linux, Question

murrah boswell otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Tue May 26 06:04:09 UTC 2009

> Yeah, that's because neither OpenWRT noror DD-WRT are based in the
> United States.  OpenWRT is in Hungary (like MPlayer), and DD-WRT is in
> Germany.  If they were in the USA, Broadcom would be suing the hell out
> of the developers.  Both contain Broadcom's BCM43XX firmwares, for which
> Broadcom (unlike Ralink and Realtek) don't allow free redistribution.
> Essentially, OpenWRT and DD-WRT are flagrantly breaking US copyright
> law, but since they're overseas, Broadcom can't touch 'em.

Works for me!

> Waitasec... you're not wanting to do LTSP thin clients *across
> wireless*, are you?  If that's what you're contemplating, then don't do
> it.  The "why" has been hashed over and over on this list before.  On
> the other hand, if you're going to use K12LTSP 5EL as your actual
> workstation OS (e. g. installed to your laptop's hard disk), then yes,
> that'll be great.  I run K12LTSP 5EL in exactly that way on a Dell C640
> (it has an Orinoco wireless), and it works beautifully.

I WAS thinking about doing thin clients across wireless, but I see from what you say and what I have read tonight, that it is not
such a smart move.

Another question.

I got K12LTSP 5EL running on a server now, but have a problem with a Dell C600. It boots pxe fine, but it never makes it into
X-windows. It just sits at the grey screen with an X for the cursor. The cursor does move with the mouse. Did I miss some settings
in the server setup?

Regards,
Murrah Boswell