[K12OSN] Remote client desktop

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu May 28 07:21:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:
> I am trying to find a way to remotely connect to a thin client desktop
> for support purposes.  In LTSP4 this appeared to be done with x11vnc, or
> an equivalent integrated VNC module.  Although I installed x11vnc in my
> Fedora 10 K12Linux client chroot, neither it nor I can find an X server
> running, and I cannot find any mention of a VNC module in LTSP5 either.
>  Can someone explain where the client's X server is, and how I can
> remotely connect to it?

This is the main reason why I did not finish fl_teachertool for Fedora
LTSP 5. I got stuck trying to get x11vnc working on the client.

If I can get x11vnc to work on the client then I should be able to get
everything working. BTW does anyone know how to get the vnc.so module
of X running? That's how Eric did it in K12LTSP. Then we wouldn't need
x11vnc. Also what would be nice is if xinetd started Xvnc server so
you can just vncviewer localhost and boom up pops a login window.
That's how it was by default in K12LTSP. My program fl_teachertool
came to rely on these features.

I saw Jeff's perl script and can add these links.

http://doc.edubuntu-fr.org/clientleger_x11vnc
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/InstallX11VncOnLtspClients

I am sure we should be able to get this working.

--
Robert Arkiletian