[K12OSN] C-Media CM8738 Sound Card Problem

murrah boswell otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Sun May 31 02:38:36 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I am using K12LTSP 5EL.

I have been searching all over google and can not for the life of me figure out how to get modules loaded for a C-Media CM8738 sound
card loaded.

The snd-cmpci module is in  /opt/ltsp/i386/lib/modules/2.6.17.8-ltsp-1/kernel/sound/pci/ and I added an entry in
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/audiolist"

13f6:0111       snd-cmipci        #C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

and I can detect the sound card, but there is no sound in gnome.

I also can not modprobe or modinfo the snd-cmpci module since modprobe and modinfo are not aware of modules in
/opt/ltsp/i386/lib/modules/.

Can someone please tell me how to get this sound card working?

Regards,
Murrah Boswell