Re: [K12OSN] pxe boot menu feature request

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
I am wondering how many would like to see K12Linux have the ability to
pxe boot to a  boot menu that gives users a choice of booting from
network (LTSP) or boot from local hard drive (Linux or Windows)?
Very useful in case you have a mixed lab. In my case 30 ltsp clients and 2 of them have windows as a second boot option. (dhcpd config contains mac addresses of clients; I use pxe-grub; pxelinux (based on syslinux) with textmenu extension should work as well. - In my setup pxe-grub works fine but needs to be compiled with a nic specific driver; so pxelinux with option keeppxe seems to be the better choice)

Compared with bios based boot menu ("F12") you have with a pxe loaded boot menu the advantage that you can freely (and on the server) configure the bootmenu text and that you have full control which boot devices are allowed.

However this should be strictly optional because it adds another layer of possible complications (e.g. http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#What_Problems_Are_There_Currently_With_PXELINUX.3F )

Christian Ostheimer

--
Robert Arkiletian