Re: [K12OSN] Beta Fl_TeacherTool 0.71 for K12Linux (LTSP5)

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Jon Williams <jon williams52 gmail com> wrote:
>> It looks like I missed the configuration change with the
>> /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ssh/sshd_config file.  I thought I was being pretty
>> meticulous but I missed that step.
>>
>> Something still isn't right however in that I had to set
>> PasswordAuthentication to yes instead of no in order to get the tool
>> to come up.  But at this point I'm able to remote in and control my
>

> the sshd_config setting of (PasswordAuthentication no ) should not
> affect fl_tt. It was only put into the docs to prevent kids from being
> able to brute force the root password on the clients since they are
> running sshd.

I'm going on about 4 hours of sleep so at this point of the day I
might be getting things out of sequence.  I do know that setting
PasswordAuthentication to no would keep me from being able to log in
on the thin client.  I'd get a message about being unable to contact
server and the thin client would restart.  As soon as I set this to
yes that problem when away.  Also with the option set to yes I
wouldn't be prompted to accept the ssh key for every thin client.

Thanks for the information on that option.  I'm sure I've
mis-configured something somewhere.  I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow
once I've had a good nights sleep.

>> thin client's sessions so that's progress.  It's also about 1000x
>> faster than iTalc so I'm pretty happy.
>>

> That's great to hear. I have not tried iTalc but last I checked it did
> not have internet blocking.
>
> Does everything work including internet access blocking? I forgot to
> mention, I have only tried Internet access blocking with the standard
> 2 nic setup. Not sure if it will work with a 1 nic setup.

I'm using a 2 nic setup myself.  Everything is working very well.  I
do seem to have an issue with Find not separating out the computers
running a certain process.  And the Lock/Unlock button doesn't seem to
do anything on the thin clients.  Both of those are non-issues for us
and not worth troubleshooting...unless that feedback would be useful
for you.

Also I apparently don't have Snapshots configured correctly (a gThumb
error) but once again not an issue.

Internet access blocking isn't working for me.  The Allow / Deny
buttons are grayed out.

The features that will be very useful for our implementation (and that
are working great) are:

1) Control - if all fl_teachertool offered was this one feature we'd
be happy.  This is what our support staff will use to remotely support
our users.  Our environment will be 225 workstations spread out across
40 locations.  A majority of our sites have no more than 3-5
computers.  I'm going to set up FreeNX on these servers and what our
support staff will do is set up a NX session  to the server and then
launch fl_teachertool.
2) List - another very handy tool.  Our support techs aren't all that
familiar with the command line.
3) Broadcast - I think this will be very handy for training.

Thanks again for the great tool Robert.