[K12OSN] Beta Fl_TeacherTool 0.71 for K12Linux (LTSP5)

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 17:28:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Jon Williams <jon.williams52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Jon Williams <jon.williams52 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It looks like I missed the configuration change with the
>>> /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/ssh/sshd_config file.  I thought I was being pretty
>>> meticulous but I missed that step.
>>>
>>> Something still isn't right however in that I had to set
>>> PasswordAuthentication to yes instead of no in order to get the tool
>>> to come up.  But at this point I'm able to remote in and control my
>>

>> the sshd_config setting of (PasswordAuthentication no ) should not
>> affect fl_tt. It was only put into the docs to prevent kids from being
>> able to brute force the root password on the clients since they are
>> running sshd.
>
> I'm going on about 4 hours of sleep so at this point of the day I
> might be getting things out of sequence.  I do know that setting
> PasswordAuthentication to no would keep me from being able to log in
> on the thin client.  I'd get a message about being unable to contact
> server and the thin client would restart.  As soon as I set this to
> yes that problem when away.  Also with the option set to yes I
> wouldn't be prompted to accept the ssh key for every thin client.
>
> Thanks for the information on that option.  I'm sure I've
> mis-configured something somewhere.  I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow
> once I've had a good nights sleep.
>

>>> thin client's sessions so that's progress.  It's also about 1000x
>>> faster than iTalc so I'm pretty happy.
>>>

>> That's great to hear. I have not tried iTalc but last I checked it did
>> not have internet blocking.
>>
>> Does everything work including internet access blocking? I forgot to
>> mention, I have only tried Internet access blocking with the standard
>> 2 nic setup. Not sure if it will work with a 1 nic setup.
>
> I'm using a 2 nic setup myself.  Everything is working very well.  I
> do seem to have an issue with Find not separating out the computers

That's weird. Is Find not working for anyone else?  When you click
List do the processes for the users get displayed? Make sure there are
no spelling mistakes for the process name you are searching for.

> running a certain process.  And the Lock/Unlock button doesn't seem to
> do anything on the thin clients.  Both of those are non-issues for us

The lock/Unlock is currently an ltsp issue.

> and not worth troubleshooting...unless that feedback would be useful
> for you.
>
> Also I apparently don't have Snapshots configured correctly (a gThumb
> error) but once again not an issue.

Hmm. Make sure you have gThumb installed. Remember you can stipulate
the number of thumbnails across the screen in the input box. Valid
values I think are (2-5) 3 is default (if I remember correctly)