[K12OSN] Making thin clients "faster"

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Fri Nov 13 17:57:39 UTC 2009

> Guys/Gals,
>
> Any tips on how to make the thin clients "faster"?  Current setup;

There are far more knowledgeable people on this list, but I thought I'd
offer a suggestion.

Try running "top" on the server while you're using the thin clients.  My
guess is that you're swapping RAM like crazy.  If so, add more RAM to
the server.  After that I'd look at your network.  Is it all 100BaseT at
the switch?  It is a switch (not a hub) right?  A gig uplink port on the
100Mb/s switch to the server can work wonders too.  Proper network setup
is very crucial for thin client performance.

ck