[K12OSN] Resolution Config Problem

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Tue Nov 17 16:53:50 UTC 2009

Eric,

When you cannot get the mode you are after, the best thing to do is:

1. as you say, make sure the config file is being read.  One way to do
this is to set:

SCREEN_02=shell
SCREEN_07=ldm

in lts.conf and reboot the client.  Once the client is booted, you
should be able to press ctrl-alt-F2 to get to screen 2 and be presented
with a root shell on the client.  If you do not get a root shell, your
config file is not being read.

2. Look in the client's Xorg log file.  If you follow #1 above, and it
*does* work, from the root shell, scp the Xorg log file to the server:

scp /var/log/Xorg*log user at server:/home/user

Then, attach the log file to an email to this listserv, if you want some
help with it.  The log file will give you all the gory details of what
modes it rejected and why.  That should give you all the info you need
to adjust things properly and not to guess.  :)

-Gadi

PS: One other note:  in some older versions of LTSP5, you needed to add
a line:

CONFIGURE_X=True

in order for a xorg.conf file to be created from your parameters.  Try
adding that line to your pasted configuration and see if that helps.

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 09:09 -0600, Eric John Nagel wrote:
> > You most likely need to adjust:
> >
> > X_HORZSYNC
> > X_VERTREFRESH
> >
> > (see attached email)
> >
> > -Gadi
> > --
> >

> Thank you so much for your help.
> Here is what we have added to our /var/opt/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf
>
> [default]
>     XSERVER=trident
>     X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
>     #XRANDR_MODE_0="1024x768"
>     X_VERTREFRESH="55-75"
>     X_HORZSYNC="30-100"
>     XRANDR_DISABLE=True
>     X_MODE_0=1024x768
>
> You may notice we also tried it with the XRANDR_MODE_0="1024x768"
> (uncommented) and the XRANDR_DISABLE and X_MODE_0 commented out. Either
> way it does not work.  Still 800x600 Max.
>
> We would really like to get this to work!  Any other suggestions?
> How can we tell that this file is being read?
> Must we reboot the server and client to test?  (We have.)
>

> Shlama w'burkate, ejn

Gideon Romm | Proud LTSP Developer
ltsp at symbio-technologies.com

Pay It Forward!
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM + Symbiont Boot Stick = $275
10% of order goes to school or open source project of your choice!

Buy yourself a lab or office and use your donation to set up a school,
pay for a desperately needed feature added to a software package,
or sponsor part of LTSP's annual developer's conference LTSP-by-the-sea!

Check out:  http://www.symbio-technologies.com/payitforward