[K12OSN] CentOS5 + Flash + Sound

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:02:52 UTC 2009

First, although I mentioned using CentOS, just to be certain, this is
Ltsp4.2 which is not supported .. but sound does work well once I get the
pieces sorted out again.

so ... following is going to be a bit confused.

> I do not have access to the one 64bit server we have here. Is the
> nswrapper flash player( listed in your about:plugins) a spin off of some
> sort? I do not remember if our 64bit is the nswrapper thingie?
> In other words the 32bit does not have the nswrapper listed in the file
> name.

Actually, it seems there are two versions of nsplugginwrapper. One that
wraps 32bit for x86_64 and another that says it wraps x86_64 bit plugins for
x86_64 (strange, but that is also what it seems to do).

In my /usr/lib64/mozilla directory, I have plugins and plugins-wrapped.  I
have /usr/lib/firefox64/firefox-3.0.14 since that is the version I'm using
but all plugins go in the mozilla directory.  All the items in plugins are
x86_64 versions, but they get wrapped anyway and then show up in the
plugins-wrapped directory.  If I uninstall nsplugginwrapper, FF3.0.14
(x86_64) doesn't show any plugins at all whereas with nsplugginwrapper
installed, they are shown.

Confused?  I know I am at the moment.

What I wanted was to wrap the 32bit  v9 version of Flash (where I know sound
used to work  and Flash 10 x86_64 doesn't seem to work with sound for me).

So, since using the x86_64 seems to be a bit problematic, I am going to try
reverting back to just downloading the precompiled 32bit version, install it
in /opt, create symlinks from /usr/bin/firefox to it and go from there at
the moment.  I was hoping to move to just x86_64 on my system but given the
way things have gone, it may be time to try something else.

Not sure if I will try this today though since I leave for a week and making
a change late on a Friday afternoon just before vacation seems to be begging
for problems on Monday.  FF3 is stable as long as teachers don't visit
aol.com (which takes forever to load for them).

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins