[K12OSN] ssh commands

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Oct 8 22:37:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Rob Owens <rowens at ptd.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Conrad Lawes <pxeboot at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I concur with  William.   I am still amazed that folks are still using vnc
>> >  when  freenx or nomachine is sooo much faster and easier  to setup than
>> > vnc.
>> >
>> > Out-of-the-box  freenx  is more secure  since it uses the ssh protocol by
>> > default.
>> >

>> > http://www.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/FreeNX <http://goog_1253883863086>
>> >
>> > http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

>> Interesting, I hadn't heard of this software before now. I presume it's
>> closed-source though, considering the links for 'enterprise evaluation
>> versions' of the software on the download page. Still, seems worth looking
>> at for me. Since we switched from CentOS 5 to Ubuntu 9.04, we've been unable
>> to replicate the former's prebuilt VNC setup.
>
> NX Server is proprietary, but FreeNX is not.
>
> -Rob

With respect to the use of FreeNX, part of my Utopian setup is a
CentOS server running a paravirtualized, Edubuntu-themed desktop, a
paravirtualized Debian Desktop providing DRBL services, and a
paravirtualized LDAP/NFS/SAMBA/PDC server.  Both the CentOS server and
the Ubuntu Desktop accept connections via FreeNX.  The compression
algorithm is outstanding, and the packages are maintained in
repositories.

A client, be it a PXE booting netbook, a USB booting netbook, or any
computer running a nxclient, connects, compresses, authenticates,
loads a profile, and gets going.  Here's the thing - the client can be
in your LAN, it can at the students' home, it can be one of our
transitional homeless in Hawaii using a netbook through free public
wifi, from the hospital if your kid is sick, on vacation if you are
traveling, etc., etc., etc.  The magical gigabit connection we are
used to seeking is automagically compressed into the freenx connection
wherever you choose to make your LAN.

Utopian LAN - all desktop are BIOS locked to pxe/etherboot/gpxe boot.
Boot options, be they from flash, pxe, hard drive, pxe to http, etc -
are controlled by the gpxe boot menu and administered remotely.  How
does one achieve, and how will google achieve, the ubiquitous roaming
Desktop via the web - the NX compression integrated into the BIOS or
as part of your pre-configured flash drive.  I've been doing it with
my netbooks since last year, and it's scary good.

--scott