[K12OSN] Thin client specs or network speed - which is more important?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Oct 13 17:23:56 UTC 2009

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Joseph Bishay <joseph.bishay at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I hope everyone is doing well.
>>
>> I have been working to tighten up the network and one of the options
>> that I have is to try to upgrade our thin clients (they are all
>> Pentium I/II and some IIIs with about 128 MB RAM) or to upgrade our
>> entire network speed to gigabit.  We don't use any locally-run
>> applications.
>>
>> We are running K12linux based on Fedora.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> Upgrade the clients. 100Mbps is fine for clients but have a gigabit
> uplink to server.

That depends on what is meant by "upgrade the clients."  If you mean
"add some DRAM to the existing clients," then I'd agree, 'cause there's
nothing wrong with those clients.  A few years back, 32MB in the clients
was enough, but now I typically put 256MB in mine 'cause of the way
Firefox does image caching in X11.  I still have a Pentium-166 MMX and
some AMD K6-2's from 10-12 years ago, and they work great.  They have
100Mbps cards, and they have decent video boards (Matrox Millenium G400,
ATI Radeon 7500, etc.).

+1 on the "upgrade the *server* to Gigabit" suggestion.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!