[K12OSN] RE: Major schools deployments

Jason Yeoman tuxnician at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 01:50:56 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I'm a computer tech for the local school board.  We did have an ltsp setup
in one classroom at a school unfortunately it did not last long for various
reasons including staff changes.

Currently the 30 elementary and 3 secondary schools are all Windows based
with a Mac lab at each secondary school.  With the one key teacher/computer
consultant that was the innovator in bringing this project to the board now
gone there is no interest in supporting it.

I appreciate the positive information that everyone has shared.  My hope is
that I can somehow re-generate an interest in using an LTSP in the schools
so that students will have the experience of different operating systems and
not a proprietary one.  I imagine that the computer courses in the secondary
schools would see the benefit of students bulding a supporting an ltsp for
hands on experience.

Unfortunately I am not a teacher so I have little or no say in even
suggesting an ltsp so I'm constantly looking for reasons and examples to
show that it can be successful.

Here in Ontario the Ministry of Education purchases educational software
licenses for schools so it's a little more difficult to push open source
software.  Since most applications are Windows based it's a hard sell for an
ltsp.

There was an idea of setting up mini-ltsp labs for grades JK-1 with
educational software geared towards the younger students but the IT manager
believes it's just as easy as buying some Windows machines instead.

It's an up hill battle here but I'm glad to here about other people's
successes.

Jason