Re: [K12OSN] Major schools deployments

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt gmail com> wrote:

> I would also love to hear a brief paragraph from people about their school
> deployments.  Do you have LDAP or LTSP networks?  Do you have dedicated
> computer labs?  Do you just have a few standalone Linux computers in
> classrooms?

There are large deployments in Canada. The ones I know of are in
Kamloops, Chilliwack and Laval school districts.

Kamloops has a home grown diskless solution which they migrated to from LTSP.
Chilliwack is using DRBL diskless solution.
Laval is using Mille-Xterm which is LTSP clustering provided by
Revolution Linux.

I am just a single classroom in Vancouver. I started out using
K12LTSP. This year I just started using DRBL diskless solution with
all new clients. So far I really like DRBL.

BTW Diskless means all processes run on client. But the client
filesystem is remote. (usually NFS based). Unlike, LTSP where all
processes are usually on one central server.

--
Robert Arkiletian