Re: [K12OSN] Thin client specs or network speed - which is more important?

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Joseph Bishay <joseph bishay gmail com> wrote:

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I have been working to tighten up the network and one of the options
that I have is to try to upgrade our thin clients (they are all
Pentium I/II and some IIIs with about 128 MB RAM) or to upgrade our
entire network speed to gigabit.  We don't use any locally-run
applications.

We are running K12linux based on Fedora.

What do you think?

Upgrade the clients. 100Mbps is fine for clients but have a gigabit
uplink to server.

That depends on what is meant by "upgrade the clients."  If you mean "add some DRAM to the existing clients," then I'd agree, 'cause there's nothing wrong with those clients.  A few years back, 32MB in the clients was enough, but now I typically put 256MB in mine 'cause of the way Firefox does image caching in X11.  I still have a Pentium-166 MMX and some AMD K6-2's from 10-12 years ago, and they work great.  They have 100Mbps cards, and they have decent video boards (Matrox Millenium G400, ATI Radeon 7500, etc.).

+1 on the "upgrade the *server* to Gigabit" suggestion.

--TP
Do you GNU?