Re: [K12OSN] Thin client specs or network speed - which is more important?

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

Upgrade the clients. 100Mbps is fine for clients but have a gigabit
uplink to server.

That depends on what is meant by "upgrade the clients." If you mean "add some DRAM to the existing clients," then I'd agree, 'cause there's nothing wrong with those clients. A few years back, 32MB in the clients was enough, but now I typically put 256MB in mine 'cause of the way Firefox does image caching in X11. I still have a Pentium-166 MMX and some AMD K6-2's from 10-12 years ago, and they work great. They have 100Mbps cards, and they have decent video boards (Matrox Millenium G400, ATI Radeon 7500, etc.).

+1 on the "upgrade the *server* to Gigabit" suggestion.

You probably wouldn't like those clients if they had non-accelerated video cards and that slow CPU had to do all the work, though. And it probably costs as much to add old-style RAM these days as to get a much newer used PC.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com