[K12OSN] using really old PCs as clients

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Oct 14 15:29:09 UTC 2009

Also remember that even though the floppy drives aren't working, you can
accomplish the same thing with the hard disk instead.  What I do in this
case is pull the old box's hard disk out of it, install it in another
GNU/Linux or other UNIX-style box, and then "cat" the Rom-O-Matic image
to the hard disk, like so.  This example is for the 3Com 3C905 series,
and it assumes the old box's hard disk shows up as /dev/hdb.

  terrell at thinclientmaker$ su - root
  Password:  (enter root's password here)
  root at thinclientmaker# cat eb-5.4.4-3c90x.zdsk > /dev/hdb
  root at thinclientmaker# halt

Then, just pop this new "EtherBoot hard disk" back into the old box and
boot from it.  If you set up one box to do all your old hard disks this
way, it goes pretty quickly.  I did something similar with some EIDE Sun
Ultra 5 hard disks a few years back (I used an x86 machine for the
cat'ing), and I had ten hard disks all config'd in about 20 minutes.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!