Re: [K12OSN] using really old PCs as clients

j.w. thomas wrote:
Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
Also remember that even though the floppy drives aren't working, you can accomplish the same thing with the hard disk instead. What I do in this case is pull the old box's hard disk out of it, install it in another GNU/Linux or other UNIX-style box, and then "cat" the Rom-O-Matic image to the hard disk, like so. This example is for the 3Com 3C905 series, and it assumes the old box's hard disk shows up as /dev/hdb.

  terrell thinclientmaker$ su - root
  Password:  (enter root's password here)
  root thinclientmaker# cat eb-5.4.4-3c90x.zdsk > /dev/hdb
  root thinclientmaker# halt

Then, just pop this new "EtherBoot hard disk" back into the old box and boot from it. If you set up one box to do all your old hard disks this way, it goes pretty quickly. I did something similar with some EIDE Sun Ultra 5 hard disks a few years back (I used an x86 machine for the cat'ing), and I had ten hard disks all config'd in about 20 minutes.

It would be really sweet to have a LiveCD that did this for you. With appropriate warnings!

It exists.  It's called Damn Small Linux.  :-)

--TP