[K12OSN] Mixed network environment - using LTSP server for routing too

Hamlesh [Personal] hm at motah.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 22:24:16 UTC 2009

Howdy,

Just deployed LTSP at work, loving it, solves many many many problems
I've had in the past with overheads of reinstalling machines etc etc
etc.

Currently deploying it at home, for 3 users, I've read through the
docs but struggling with one thing.

Home setup;

CABLE MODEM

CABLE ROUTER

       LTSP SERVER

          SWITCH

        CLIENTS

Now, ideally I'd like to use the LTSP server to both boot thin clients
from, but also as the DHCP/DNS/gateway for other clients.  Such as my
laptop which is also plugged into the switch (albeit via wifi).  The
laptop picks up an IP from the LTSP DHCP server, but I can't route
traffic through.

What changes should I make?  I'd like any fat clients to simply treat
it as they would the cable router, and dont want want to plug the
devices into the cable router as i'd like to keep the network topology
flat.

Thanks :)