Re: [K12OSN] Setting up VNC remote support

K12LTSP comes with a bunch of "Edutainment" software already installed, although it can be added to K12Linux without much difficulty. The one app that may push your choice one way or another is Firefox. If users will be doing a lot of streaming video, e.g., YouTube, then K12Linux's support for local apps--where the application runs on the client hardware rather than on the server--will likely become crucial.

Peter

Jon Williams wrote:
Open Office, Firefox, Java, Opera 9.27 (for a crappy legacy webside that only works in IE and that version of Opera), rdesktop (with printer redirection)...and I think that's about it. We have a couple of computers in both of our inpatient units that are set up for family members to use. I'll likely set up a whole range of games for the kids.

I'm busy setting up K12LTSP to test fl_teachertool. It looks exactly like what we are looking for. I'm also very intrigued with iTALC (http://en.opensuse.org/Italc). I'm setting up another test station with opensuse to play around with it since that package appears to be in their repository and fairly easy to set up. If I like it I'm going to try and set that up on K12Linux. I have about another month before I'm testing this out in production in a couple of our agencies. Maybe Robert will have a beta version of fl_teachertool ready to go by then and I can help give him some feedback. Thanks again for the great feedback. I was at a dead end and you folks helped point me in the right direction.