[K12OSN] How to boot clients PCs.

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Sep 8 15:06:41 UTC 2009

mir ip wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am really new to this area, I want to build my lab which is going to
> use k12Linux as LTSP server. I am trying to use old PC's as a disk less
> clients. I just installed k12Linux LTSP server on my Computer. And Can
> not boot from my client PCs.
> I configured BIOS of my client PC to boot from LAN but no result.
> Could any body tell me what am i missing? Or do i need extra hardware ?

I have found that on some motherboards setting the boot options to boot
from LAN is not enough.  Sometimes you also need to enable the LAN boot
ROM option found elsewhere in some chipset options.  It sounds odd since
usually there is no LAN boot ROM socket with onboard chipsets, but in
many cases enabling that option has allowed systems that wouldn't
otherwise boot of the onboard NIC to work.

Jeff