[K12OSN] setting quotas per user to solve our slow login process

dhhoward at comcast.net dhhoward at comcast.net
Fri Sep 11 16:50:48 UTC 2009

OK Gadi, we'll try this, thanks! Daniel

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gideon Romm" <ltsp at symbio-technologies.com>
To: "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 12:40:35 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] setting quotas per user to solve our slow login process

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 12:38 -0400, Gideon Romm wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 10:25 -0400, Daniel Howard wrote:
> > Dan Young wrote:
> > > Sounds like:
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ltsp/+bug/357268
> > >
> > > If you're not using localapps, you can test to see if this is the bug by:
> > >
> > > cd /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/
> > > mv X01-localapps oldX01-localapps
> > >
> > > Then reboot your terminal.
> > Thanks Dan. We tried it to no avail. This seems like a bug because we
> > switched a server back to K12LTSP and had 1000+ accounts up, no problem,
> > boot up in seconds. Unfortunately that is likely to be the solution for
> > the time being until we can resolve the large number of accounts/slow
> > bootup issue with K12Linux, or anyone can suggest other avenues for us
> > to explore. Thanks, Daniel
>
> Daniel,
>
> K12LTSP is based on LTSP5, which uses ssh to login to the server. Can
> you test to see if running: ssh -Y user at server from another box takes
> a long time?
>
> If so, then add "-vvv" to the ssh command line, like: ssh -vvv -Y
> user at server
>
> This will make ssh verbose and you will see at what point it hangs.
>
> By default, sshd on the server runs through several authentication
> mechanisms, and if it takes earlier/unused ones time to fail, you'll
> feel it. You can optimize things by identifying the one that fails and
> turning it off in the sshd_config file. A common one I have seen is:
> GSSAPIAuthentication
>
> Sometimes, setting that to "no" will speed up ssh logins a great deal.
>
> -Gadi

Oops! I meant to say "K12Linux is based on LTSP5"

Gideon Romm | Proud LTSP Developer
ltsp at symbio-technologies.com

Pay It Forward!
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM + Symbiont Boot Stick = $275
10% of order goes to school or open source project of your choice!

Buy yourself a lab or office and use your donation to set up a school,
pay for a desperately needed feature added to a software package,
or sponsor part of LTSP's annual developer's conference LTSP-by-the-sea!

Check out: http://www.symbio-technologies.com/payitforward