Re: [K12OSN] Screen Pop - Howto?

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, C. Duncan Hudson wrote:

> My salespeople all run K12 ltsp, and they sit at the back of our shop.
> So consequently they may not be aware when someone comes into our
> showroom.  My security cameras automatically snap a picture of everyone
> who comes in the door, I'd like to take that image and 'Pop' it up on
> everyones' screen - so that they know a customer has walked in (and
> hopefully they get up and offer some assistance!)  Anyone know how I
> could script the opening of an image on my terminals?  Thanks in advance,

Duncan,
	there are several ways to "pop" a picture on the user's screen.
You can have an user app waiting for picture showing up in a preset place
- that can be run from .bash_profile. You can have a single app waiting
and displaying the pic on all terminals - for that you need a list of
current DISPLAY variables (I use the single app approach). It is
surprisingly easy. How does the picture appear on the system? How would an
app know about it?
julius