Re: [K12OSN] Extremely long time to authenticate users

I just spoke with Jimmy about this, and although there are only 80-110 clients per server, we have 1000 user accounts on each server (total number of students in the school) so that all students have their own login account.  These servers only have about 100 GB hard disk space per server; if K12Linux allocates 100 MB per user account on the hard disk drive, could that explain the extremely slow response?  If so, how do we decrease the hard disk storage for home folders for each account?  We're going to install an off the shelf NAS box with at least 1 TB, so if we have to limit each account to 50 MB on the server, that's OK, we want students to store files on the NAS box so teachers can easily access file from their computers.

Best, Daniel

Dan Young wrote:
Patch is here:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24971307/localapps.patch

Save to disk, apply with:

cd /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ldm/rc.d
patch -p0 < /path/to/your/localapps.patch

If this fixes your symptoms, please comment as such on the bug, as
it's languished there for some months now. Thanks,

--
Dan Young <dyoung mesd k12 or us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services