[K12OSN] Two SATA mirrors

roger rie at pcfubar.net
Tue Sep 8 21:06:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Henry Hartley<henryhartley at westat.com> wrote:
> Since funds are a little tight I’m tempted to go with your second option –
> Linux based software RAID. Am I right in assuming that as long as I have
> enough SATA connecters I should have all the hardware I need for that? I
> think I need to do a bit more research before I move forward. Do you know of
> good (and relatively recent) resources explaining how software RAID is done?

I went a slightly different approach for my home box.  I went with 2
500G sata, use one for storage, then rsync it in the middle of the
night.  I was paranoid how easy it would be to take the disks out of
that box and throw them in something else if this system dies.  At
worst, I lose something that's not synced yet.   Of course, I could
cron the sync job to be every 5 minutes or so.

3 total drives, 1 for OS and home dir, one for storage, one for backup
of storage.
Roger