Re: [K12OSN] Two SATA mirrors

roger wrote:
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Henry Hartley<henryhartley westat com> wrote:
Since funds are a little tight I’m tempted to go with your second option –
Linux based software RAID. Am I right in assuming that as long as I have
enough SATA connecters I should have all the hardware I need for that? I
think I need to do a bit more research before I move forward. Do you know of
good (and relatively recent) resources explaining how software RAID is done?

I went a slightly different approach for my home box.  I went with 2
500G sata, use one for storage, then rsync it in the middle of the
night.  I was paranoid how easy it would be to take the disks out of
that box and throw them in something else if this system dies.  At
worst, I lose something that's not synced yet.   Of course, I could
cron the sync job to be every 5 minutes or so.

Software raid is just as easy to move as a single drive - in fact if you move a single drive both copies will still work. The rsync copy does have the advantage of possibly surviving some types of disasters that would crash the system before being copied, though.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com