[K12OSN] setting quotas per user to solve our slow login process

Folks, I found the following discussion of setting quotas per user in Linux, any thoughts as to this solving our slow login process on K12Linux when we get over 300 user accounts per server?  At 1050 accounts, the login process takes 5 minutes!

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch28_:_Managing_Disk_Usage_with_Quotas

Best, Daniel