Re: [K12OSN] Two SATA mirrors

RAID 1 has several other advantages:
1) Faster reads than with one device.
2) If you do have a problem, you typically can transparently run on a
degraded RAID until you can replace the failed drive.

3) You aren't as likely to have to tell someone that you lost that
important document they spent hours on yesterday but you do have the
short memo they did the day before.

Software RAID, especially for /home, is pretty darned easy in Linux.
It's only slightly more difficult to make both disks bootable as you
have to remember to install GRUB on each one. There's really no reason
not to do it, especially with hard drives only costing $40-50 in the
sizes you are using.

There's nothing wrong with being paranoid. That's why I rsync my RAID to
yet another drive each night. (And really important stuff should go off
site every night)

Regards,
William