Re: [K12OSN] video trouble running X with IBM Thinkpad R31 thin clients

Daniel,
I've been helping Robert with some of the underlying pieces necessary for fl_tt to work on K12Linux. I think we've got most of them working, but not quite all, and nothing packaged up yet nor recipes written. Robert, of course, can give a more definitive status report, but I'd say we're still a few weeks away. We can see the finish line, but we're not there yet.

Peter

Daniel Howard wrote:
I'm setting up a 1:1 english/language arts classroom with K12Linux using a bunch of these laptops. Unfortunately my old trick of adding XSERVER=VESA to LTS.CONF didn't work in K12Linux like it did in K12LTSP for them; I get the blue background and the login box, but no graphics and I can't enter the text into the box either, so after trying XSERVER=i810, and a few other options to no avail, I did some googling, and discovered that others have had issues with this, something about the i810 drivers not working/being buggy in the latest version of LTSP. I put Xubuntu 9.04 on one laptop as a test and it worked just fine. Does anyone know of new info on how to get thin clients with this Intel video chip? Can I look at something on the Xubuntu laptop (the xorg.conf file?) that I set up in order to divine a custom setup for K12Linux, and if so how?

Also, I was hoping to use FL_TeacherTool on this classroom server, is it ready yet? Saw several posts by maestro Arkiletian that one was in the oven...

Best, Daniel