[K12OSN] Status of K12Linux

Some have been wondering why there aren't any non-Beta Fedora-11 based K12Linux images. I spun them ~2 months ago, but the kernel would crash on my 32bit test system so I didn't feel comfortable releasing it. I don't have time to look at it.

https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/InstallGuide
If you want to use Fedora-11 based LTSP, you should install it on regular LTSP using the procedure for standard installation. It is a bit better than the Fedora-10 version.

I have been committing small fixes to LTSP upstream and K12Linux so it will work with the upcoming Fedora 12, but otherwise you will see no new features in LTSP Fedora. Upstream LTSP has some newer stuff like ltsp-cluster that isn't yet tested or packaged for Fedora. It could possibly work for Fedora with little trouble, but without others stepping up it wont happen.

Fedora 12 LTSP will be about the same as Fedora 11 with one big difference. Fedora 12 32bit has a minimum requirement of i686 architectures. There is no turning back, the decision was made months ago and all binaries are now i686 minimum.

Some of you already know that I've been assigned to work on other projects. I might be working on something better than LTSP that I can't talk about yet. I'm putting in some minor effort when I can to keeping LTSP working with the latest versions of Fedora. If folks want more, then some volunteers really need to step up and do the development. I'm even willing to train you if you are serious about it. But history has shown that plenty are willing to consume but few contribute.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com