[K12OSN] Auto shutdown certain clients

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Mon Apr 12 18:17:25 UTC 2010

I am trying to automatically shutdown certain clients after a certain
uptime (ex: 12 hours).  I want this because we have some kiosk type
machines that are used maybe one day a week and I don't need them
running the other 6 days.

Something simple like:

shutdown -P +720

should work, but no matter who I try to run that it never works.

An ltsp-localapps script in selected user's ~/.config/autostart folder
seemed to be the easiest and would not require client image changes, but
since shutdown has to be run as root I didn't think this would work.  If
anyone knows a way to do this I would still like to hear it.

Next I tried creating a script
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/init.d/auto-shutdown.sh to run the shutdown command,
rebuilt the image and then added this:

RCFILE_01=/etc/init.d/auto-shutdown.sh

to selected client sections in the lts.conf file.  Still no go.

I know the lts.conf file and section are being read correctly because
the autologin parameters I specify there are working.

The only other option I considered is creating a separate image for the
clients to run auto shutdown but that seems like far too much work for
such a simple problem.

Any other ideas how I can selectively auto-shutdown some clients?

Thanks,

Jeff