[K12OSN] Auto shutdown certain clients

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Apr 14 04:06:50 UTC 2010

On 04/12/2010 08:04 PM, Barry Cisna wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Have a look at the attached link. You shouldn't really have to do any
> rebuilding of the /ltsp root image for what you are wanting to
> accomplish.
> I think if you run 1) A scheduled cron job for many,,or 2) make up a
> cron job for each tc,with the information provided in the following link
> you should accomplish what you are wanting to do. Simply run each cron
> job as root,and it should nix each tc into a shutdown...
> Sidenote: In order to make this happen the sure fire way to do it is to
> assign each tc an ip address, which I am sure you have thought of as is
> also explained in the link provided.
> There are some other good tidbits of info for configing TC's here as
> well.
>
>  http://skolelinux.org/~klaus/newnotater_Sarge/x2685.html
>
> Let us know your progress!
>
> Barry Cisna

Barry,

Thanks for the info.  My issue with cron is that it doesn't do things
_after_ a certain amount of time, it does them _at_ a certain time.
Since I don't know when a user will start using the system I can't pick
a specific time to shut it down.  The other problem of course is that
cron jobs would happen to _all_ TCs and I only want to shut down a few.

I have not tried the ALLOW_SHUTDOWN = Y thing, but I still can't see an
easy way that I could know how long a client has been up from the server
(which is where it appears you run ltspinfo).

I also don't know what you mean by assigning each TC an IP address.  I
know _how_ to assign a static IP, but I don't understand how that would
get me closer to a solution.

Can you provide some more details?

Thanks,

Jeff